About Us   >>   Patna Jesuits

St. Xavier’s School, Patna, established and owned by Patna Jesuits, India is a body registered under the societies Registration Act, 1860, having its office at Patna. The Patna Province office is also in St. Xavier’s School, Patna. In 10 September 1919, Pope Benedict XV issued his apostolic letter Nova in Indiis, to establish the Diocese of Patna and entrusted it to the Jesuits. Fr. Vladamir Ledochowski, the then Superior General of the Society of Jesus, assigned the Jesuits of the Missouri Province to this new mission. In 1921, Frs. William Eline, SJ, Henry Milet, SJ, Edward Anderson, SJ, Patrick Troy, SJ, and Thomas Kelly, SJ. the first five Jesuits of Missouri Province came to this mission in Patna. In 1928, the Chicago Province was formed from Missouri Province. Patna mission was handed over to Chicago Province. Again in 1956, Chicago province was divided to create a new Detroit Province. Over 155 Jesuits from America, mainly from these two provinces came as missionaries and served people of Bihar in Patna mission. The hardwork and the generosity of Missouri, Chicago and Detroit provinces, raised Patna mission soon to a vice-province and then in 1962, to an independent province. Some of famous and best institutions of Jesuits Patna Province are -

  • St. Michael’s High School, Patna
  • St. Xavier’s College of Education, Patna
  • St. Xavier’s College, Patna

Read more about the Patna Jesuit Society


© Copyright 2017 All Rights Reserved by St. Xavier’s High School, Patna
Designed & Maintained by: Franciscan Solutions Pvt. Ltd